Friday, September 7, 2007

Rest in Peace, Madeleine L'Engle

Age: 88
Occupation: Author (and wife and mother)

L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" series was a staple in our house growing up. Lord of the Rings, The Dark is Rising, and A Wrinkle in Time - there may have been more "classics," but these are the ones I remember best - the ones all of us read - the ones we kept under our pillows along with a flashlight...
Hmm - makes one rather nostalgic.

In other news, Rest in Peace, Luciano Pavarotti.

2 comments:

John S said...

Ditto that from me. It's a sad week for losing two greats like that. But it's really losing Madeleine L'Engle that saddens me. I read those Wrinkle in Time books countless times. I'm suddenly inspired to get myself new copies of the first three, and possibly even track down the others. Apparently there are 8 books about the Murry family, and I've only read the first three. There's some catching up to do.

Heidi said...

This was sad news. I somehow never read any of her books until college (and when I did it made me wish I'd read them as a little girl) but even at the age of 19 or 20 I loved them.