Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sometimes...

Sometimes I can't help but wonder - what's the point?
There are already so many articles and so many books and so many people discussing and researching these things I am also interested in. And so what's the point?
Will I actually come up with something new - or at least a different approach to something not-so-new? And even if I do, will that be heard? Or will it become obscured - indistinct - like the articles never read or books never checked out?
And even if it is heard, will it make a difference?
It will for me, but beyond me?
And I keep going, because I have this desire to discover and learn and grow - but it is also human nature to want to contribute. So much is already out there, so where is my role? What is my role?

Sometimes I can't help but wonder - what's the point?

2 comments:

kiki said...

Yes, purpose defines us. No, knowledge of purpose is not necessarily required to actually fulfill said purpose. The need to know one's purpose can become an impediment if one becomes mired in confusion and self-doubt. Sometimes the point is to press on until the purpose reveals itself. Courage is the will to continue when the purpose, endpoint, and stages along the way are entirely unknown.

Regarding research, not everything has been said or done already. Not every avenue of research has been entirely tapped out. Not every research project must yield stellar, original breakthroughs. But, every move is one step towards an uncertain future, and an unveiling of one's research purpose.

Secondly, others have the choice to be impacted or not by one's contribution. It is entirely outside of one's hands whether one's work will impact others in the desired manner. But, considerations that the impact will be negligible should not hinder one's attempt to press onwards towards making said contributions.

Finally, doubt creeps in when one is tired, over-worked, and under-appreciated by colleagues. Give oneself some R 'n R, and these questions will fade to the background with renewed understanding that one has already accomplished a great deal, and everything else will fall into place in its own time.

kiki said...

Sigh, I did not sound very personable in the last post. Please forgive me as I only hoped to encourage you.