Sunday, April 26, 2009

Celebrations

Just a few little things - but life's about the little things, ain't it?

1) CONGRATULATIONS, KIKI (and significant other) on your engagement!!! (and happy belated 30th birthday!) :)

2) Congratulations to me (yeah, that sounds stuck up, but I really don't think I need to worry about becoming overly self-confident and narcissistic). I landed a summer graduate assistant award for the summer, so I can keep up with my position at the tutoring center over the summer and maybe start making some real progress as far as improving and even broadening our research, as opposed to just trying to stay on top of things as-are. The proposal was to establish baseline data and do all the prep-work (lit review, instrument development, etc) to implement a new element in the Fall measuring the impact of peer tutoring on students' academic self-efficacy. Oh, and to convert our paper questionnaires over to electronic by way of surveygizmo or surveymonkey or one of those.
My boss and I are pretty stoked!
Plus, that keeps work hours flexible, which is wonderful. I do much better when I can sort of set my own schedule, so this should compliment me working on my comps projects well. And riding.

3) One more "good work" to me. I survived the "filthy 50" workout with my trainer guy. The first time he told me about the workout was a little over a month ago, and I thought "no frickin' way." He asked again yesterday (Saturday), and I said, "let's do it."
Oh God. What an experience.
See, the "filthy 50" is 50 reps each of 10 exercises as Rx'd:
50 box jumps
50 jumping pull-ups
50 kettle ball swings
50 walking lunges
50 knees-to-elbows
50 push presses
50 back extensions
50 wall balls
50 burpees
50 double unders (jumproping where you get the rope under you twice per jump)

It took me almost twice as long as it takes some other people. And I spent a good long time on the floor after :). But by golly, I finished. And I think it helped my trainer did it with me. No way was I quittin' while he was still going! So thanks for the motivation! :)

1 comment:

kiki said...

Thanks Karen! Congratulations to you, too!