Thursday, December 10, 2009

Favorite Things

I can't help but wonder how it is that the song "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music has become a Christmas song. There's this radio station that plays only Christmas music starting the day after Thanksgiving right up through Christmas day, and "My Favorite Things" is a regular part of the Christmas line-up.

Nonetheless, hearing that song got me thinking about some of MY favorite things (well, the song along with the fact that it's finals week and I've got another UTI, so I'm all about the basic creature comforts right now). In no particular order, here are some of my favorite things this time of year:
  • Going running at night while listening to Christmas music and looking at everyone's Christmas lights. I also love the crunch of snow under your feet.
  • My horse - and going riding in the snow.
  • The smell of sugar cookies, gingerbread, and molasses-heavy-horse-treats baking in the oven.
  • Soup. I love soup. In fact, I just made an easy fresh vegetable soup with dumplings and I'm enjoying it as I type. yum!
  • I have a new favorite commercial (internet commercial - I'm sure it's on TV, too, but don't know for sure since I don't have one!) - It's a Folger's Coffee commercial, where the big brother comes home for Christmas and hands his sister a gift, and the sister takes the bow off the gift and puts it on his shoulder and says something to the effect of "you're my present this year." Reminds me of my family, so I actually like the commercial.
  • Speaking of which: FAMILY. Family is my most favorite...most of the time ;) This is the time of year I look forward to being with my family - playing games, playing with my nephews, eating together at the dinner table - whatever, I just like being with them. Just a little over a week, now!

So what are YOUR favorites???

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Well, spending Christmas in Washington is at the top of my list. :) I'm also very big on seasonal foods: soup (my favorite food group in general), pumpkin-flavored and peppermint-flavored things, Christmas cookies, eating hot breakfasts, hot cocoa, hot tea. Also, looking at Christmas lights with my kids. Practically every time we get in the car and go somewhere lately, they're looking out the windows going, "WHOA! Cool! Christmas lights!!!" as if they've never seen them before. So funny.

And Christmas movies! Haven't watched many yet this year but I'm looking forward to seeing A Christmas Story once or twice or ten times. :)

Can't wait to see you!

John S said...

Having everyone home for Christmas is at the top of my list. I really cannot wait for everyone to get here.

Eggnog, pumpkin-flavored things, etc. are favorites... dark and hearty winter beers, cookies, fudge, all of that stuff is good too.

I hope this week goes by quickly, so I can pick you up from the airport that much sooner. =)

Unknown said...

You ;)

kiki said...

To Neil's comment: Awww. :)