Saturday, November 17, 2007

We are none of us alone.

"We are none of us alone. Even as we exhale, it is inhaled by others. The light that shines upon me shines upon my neighbor, as well. In this way, everything is connected to everything else. In this way, I am connected to my friend, even as I am connected to my enemy. In this way, there is no difference between me and my friend. In this way, there is no difference between me and my enemy. We are none of us alone."

From the end of the latest episode of "Life" on NBC. Well, I'm sure it's from elsewhere, but that is where I hear it...

2 comments:

Heidi said...

This reminds me of some Ani Difranco lyrics that I always liked: "We can't afford to do anyone harm because we owe them our lives. Each breath is recycled from someone else's lungs, our enemies are the very air in disguise."

Anonymous said...

I posted the same quote from Life on my blog at

http://berendr.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/we-are-none-of-us-alone/

Deep down the list of comments was a gentleman who attributed the quote to a philosopher named Fushumongu during the same period as Confucius.