Thursday, January 3, 2008

Great to be wanted...???

Serious decision time. I hate making decisions. I don't even hate it, I'm just not good at it. I know what I don't want (hehe, just talk to my parents about that one), but as far as what I do want? well...??? there are just so many choices!

Anywhose, toward the end of fall semester, a psych prof approached me with an RA position (Research Assistanship) for spring semester. So the first step is to decide if I should accept it. Seems like a no-brainer - research experience, overseeing undergrads, establishing a good relationship w/ a prof who can do things like write letters of recommendation, and potential presentation & publication opportunities. PLUS, getting a tuition break and monthly stipend.
Duh. Who wouldn't accept it!? Especially when said prof pulled you out of the hallway to talk specifically with you? Another grad student might be working on the project, too, which is even cooler 'cause it's a student I'm close with and know I work well with.
Again, uh, duh!?

BUT, I am also teaching (though only one class vs. two), enrolled full-time (currently for 15 credits, but I can drop to as low as 9), still working on the transformative learning research project (though I'm not getting paid for that one--just wanted to do it), working on the historical inquiry paper with another professor, and still helping with chores @ home (and riding come spring). Oh, and the writing gigue wants me back. Not that the pay is great, but it's totally flexible hours and something I can work on anywhere I can get an internet connection - and should be running through the summer.

Granted, in the long run, the RA position seems like a better career move than free-lance writing, but another one of my secret desires is not only to be published in academic journals, but to be invited onto the editing board for said journals. There enters the writing experience. Hmm.

Dunno.

Before I can really decide, I need to talk to the prof about the hours he would need me, 'cause if I'll be expected in schools down in Denver at 8:00 in the morning, that may be a stretch between morning chores and commute time. So there are considerations such as those.

Nope - just don't know - but need to decide asap!!! The pressure!!!

1 comment:

kiki said...

Ohhh! I would love to trouble-shoot the decision with you! Yeah, find out what the FTE is. For research, I think anything above .4 will give you a full tuition waiver. That's 16 hours, though, which is a serious time committment. (I'm not exactly sure about that, you might want to double-check.) As a rule, I like to accept research assistanceships. They are usually great opportinities to gain new knowledge. They provide valuable experiences and the money is a bonus. But, the time committment is the most serious drawback. I don't want you to overdo it like I have done in the past. It's just not worth it. Give me a call if you want to chat about it! We should still try to get together soon. Maybe sip some pomegranate margaritas.