Friday, August 15, 2008

One bill, two bills, three bills, BROKE

So I gripe about doctors and medical bills and health insurance a lot, I know. But seriously - just because one health-care professional I was seeing decided to transfer to spending full-time at her private practice, and the counseling center hasn't found anyone to fill in for her, yet, I had to go to the health center downstairs to get my prescriptions renewed. However, they switched up a bunch of stuff down there, so it was like coming in as a new patient all over again. So instead of just getting my prescription script, I had to go through all the paperwork and the intake, and basically have a mental-health interview with the new person, and then fork over a considerably hefty co-pay (yeah - considerably hefty = just shy of $90 - for a copay???).
All that just because I needed a little scrap of paper asking for one-month's worth of pills. And if they didn't actually help, I think I'd just quit cold turkey - but they do help and you're not supposed to quit cold-turkey. Especially before classes start.

But c'mon. We are STUDENTS using the STUDENT HEALTH CENTER with STUDENT INSURANCE. And this is the best you can do for us, people? Next time I'm going back to my family practice guy at the Greeley clinic 'cause I like him & he can write prescriptions, too.
Medical costs are totally kicking my ass. TOTALLY. Has anyone ever maxed out a credit card on just doctor bills and prescription costs? Not that I'm even close to that (thank goodness)...but boy-oh-boy.

In other news, the typical August weather on the Colorado front range has been swapped for October weather. It is overcast and raining (like Western Washington rain, people - not a 5 minute thunderstorm and then done), and it's only 58 degrees outside! This is coming from the sunny 105 degrees two weeks ago. Mother nature is pms-ing or menopausing or something...

1 comment:

kiki said...

yeah, I was so sick right after school ended last semester that I had to go into the student health center three times and have a throat culture done. The throat culture cost $100, billed separately from the visits, which cost me $265. I was so angry that being sick cost me $365 and I had student health insurance. It used to be nearly free when I was in undergrad. I'm just going to have to bank on not getting sick this semester 'cause I can't afford $90 just to be seen and %100 to have a throat culture done. I hope I can get better health insurance at a real job.