Saturday, November 1, 2008

Overwhelmed

And sometimes several thoughts attack me at once. I find myself at that point with my theoretical framework and beginnings of a lit review where I begin to feel overwhelmed by the questions and possibilities and holes. There are so many holes! How can I build upon a foundation that is comparable to swiss cheese? Don't get me wrong - swiss cheese is my favorite. But I get very distracted. For example, I was feeling good about my progress yesterday - felt like I had really identified my niche and was ready to get very specific with my research questions and lit review outline. The I went and read more while I worked out. Then I had some quality thinking time while I drove home. And by the time I got home, I felt lost, again. For example, one of my arguements as to why my research questions are even important is that increased understanding of how preservice teachers enter, develop through, and leave the teacher ed. program can help us to design the program curriculum, leading to better prepared and more effective teachers.
But what the hell is an "effective" teacher?!?!?
Oh, there is research. But, as with most research, there are mixed results, mixed ideas, mixed thoughts on how to apply the information...
So I feel as though I am building an argument on the unstable base of ideas.

Granted, it all starts with ideas, and I can't let it overwhelm me. Otherwise, I will never get anywhere. Another professor I am working with continues to remind me that sometimes all you can do is acknowledge the complex nature and uncertain definitions, and then assert your own stance and move on to your own questions/thoughts. There will always be question and uncertainty, and the only constant in life is change. So it is OKAY.

Whew. Maybe I'm ready to go to the library now... After I give my pony a quick hug-and-kiss...nothing like a big, deep breath of horse!

1 comment:

kiki said...

I agree with your professor. With so many mixed ideas, you just have to pick one that really fits with your own ideals. Then acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of each side, and why you chose one certain perspective to guide your hypotheses.

I remember how disgruntled one of the readers on my comps papers was when I listed a few different theoretical perspectives and didn't specify which one I was basing my research on. I thought I was treating all equally and didn't want to select one over the other, but now I realize how important it is to align yourself and your article with a certain viewpoint. And it kinda keeps you out of trouble if you can blame things on the viewpoint and not yourself. Hahaha! J/K