Saturday, February 23, 2008

Random (or ran-dumb?) thoughts...

So I woke up at about 4 a.m. 'cause of the coughing and sore throat 'n all - ate some fro-yo, got some Fresca, but still couldn't sleep, so I've been trying to get some work done, but it's still hard to concentrate, so my mind wanders around to all sorts of random things, such as:

(1) I'd like to dye my hair, again - maybe a really dark chestnut or auburn - something to bring out some reddish highlights. Granted, I'm also aware that this urge to dye my hair usually comes when there is some underlying issue - something else I'd rather be changing about my life but can't - so I'll change my hair color - quick, easy, and still rather non-commital.

(2) How much longer would I need to grow my hair in order to have enough to cut 8 inches off to donate for cancer patient wigs, but still be able to pull it back?

(3) Am I a "bad" prof. for letting my class go early to work on their group projects yesterday? I seriously considered calling in sick, but they start their presentations next Wednesday (and only have class on Wed and Fri), so I wanted to make sure we addressed any more questions they might have regarding that and anything else. So we tuned, warmed up, talked about a few performance-related questions that people had, and then jumped into final presentation-related questions - most of them felt it would be beneficial to have in-class time to meet with their groups (music majors are REALLY busy people!), so I let them. Some stuck around in the classroom, so I checked in with those groups, answered their questions, etc., and two groups went off to the music library, which I was fine with. But i still kinda' felt guilty. ah well. It also gave one of my students the chance to ask about pursuing a masters degree in ed. psych...

(4) Heeheehee - here's some stats humor - we've got a test in my StatsII class on Monday, so our prof was telling us some of the things we "might" be able to expect on the test - one of which was an ANOVA table with missing data that we'd have to fill in using other info. given in the table - you know, kind of like a Sudoku puzzle. So we were laughing about that, and our prof. was all, "wouldn't it be so cool if kids were walking around with those hand-held electronic games and when you ask them, 'Hey, what are you playing?' 'I'm playing ANOVA!'" hehehe - what else would one expect from a stats prof - I can just see him inventing this for his own kids...

(5) I am a sucker for adoption advertisements.

3 comments:

kiki said...

I would soo play ANOVA!

And maybe you want to dye your hair because of stuff that came up in your other post. [being cryptic, hehe]

kiki said...

And no, it sounds like you had a really good class and letting them go early was the right thing to do.

Jael said...

I agree, I remember loving it when profs let us out early to work on group projects. Music majors are so busy and it made me so happy whenever that would happen! I'm sure the entire class was greatful, no need for guilt.