Thursday, June 26, 2008

Perspective



So here I am talking about needing a vacation when everything I am doing are things I love and have chosen to do. Doesn't mean I can't get better at saying "no" to obligations, but I have the opportunity and the resources and the health to be going to school and to be riding horses and even to be scooping manure. I don't "have" to be doing these things - I am choosing and able to do these things.

My Aunt Lynn helped shift my perspective. Lynn passed away last night after battling brain cancer for over 8 years. I started to see in Lynn this fundamental shift in her own perspective - what things didn't matter so much anymore, and what things became more important - like family and saying "I love you." And how often do you stop and thank God that you can tie your own shoes? Walk on your own two feet? See the beautiful colors of the sunset? Thank you, Aunt Lynn - I'm sorry I missed you, but thank you for an important reminder, and I love you always.

So, yes - I am still tired at the moment, and I can still work on limiting myself to what I can reasonably handle and still do quality work - but at least I have what I have, and, what's more, I have so many people in my life who love me and care about me that I can share these things with. Thank you all for every thing and every minute you have given me, and for your love and support, and for all your smiles and laughs.

P.S.
Thanks, Uncle Jim, for introducing me to the amazing sidewalk chalk drawings of Julian Beever (above)

No comments: