Thursday, March 6, 2008

Awww...I DID make a difference!

One of my students from last semester stopped in just now (okay, actually about an hour ago - we were chatting).

Anywhose, as was very evident through my posts from last semester, I was struggling a bit with teaching - more so with one particular section than with "teaching" in general - but I still definitely struggled.

Well, this student that just stopped by is an awesome guy - struggled as a student himself in his younger years, really excited to teach, works really hard. Anywhose, he's student teaching this semester, and while we were talking about the experience he's been having, he told me that I was just so inspirational for the (simple) fact that I was always so passionate about my teaching - excited and energetic every morning. And, now that he is out there teaching and trying to "want" to be there everyday (not that he doesn't want to be there, but some days you just don't feel like you have the energy to get that across, especially when the students are kind of being apathetic), he is that much more inspired.

Awww - that makes me feel good, because, yes, it is hard sometimes - especially that class he was in, with students who didn't want to be there, didn't want to participate (or at least acted that way) - but there are still those that DO care, so it is my responsibility to continue caring, too! But I'm so glad that it continued to come across - at least in his point of view - and that my attitude is continuing to serve as inspiration for him in his teaching. I think I needed to hear that =0)

That makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Screw methods and techniques - we are talking presence and personality, baby!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Yay! That's great for you! It's just unfortunate that oftentimes it's just the negative that gets said and hardly ever the positive.

Any advice for a new professor for next year? I'm taking on two classes in addition to my counseling load (what was I thinking?!?) But it'd be great to hear from someone who has been there. Aside from the fact that we do need to catch up soon.